Monday, June 21, 2010

Passionate Housewives Desperate for God

Ever since I can remember, I just wanted to be a Mom. No fancy career or title, no aspirations beyond the cradle. Maybe I was just deprived of all ambition, or maybe I desired the highest calling of all...

During my first interview at the Christian School where I taught, I did not hesitate to inform the administrator that, while I loved children and teaching, my true calling was to my family, if the Lord ever blessed me in that way.

Fast-forward a few years... Isn't it amazing how the philosophy of the world can seep into our hearts and destroy that which is precious?

Although I did stay home after our first daughter was born, I began to chafe against the burdens of motherhood. The constant demands wore upon me grievously. I felt myself envying mothers who could drop their children off at my house and walk out the door "free as the breeze". For the first time in my life, I longed to don a pair of high-heels and have some time "all to myself."

Passionate Housewives Desperate for God
Then, two years ago, my best friend gave me a copy of this book: Passionate Housewives Desperate for God. As I began to read it, I realized how much I had allowed the world (and feminism in particular) to penetrate my thinking. I would have been appalled if anyone referred to me as a feminist, yet remnants of that world-view had effectively permenated my mind!

Although this book is written particularly to encourage stay-at-home-moms, I believe it to be an excellent challenge to all Christian women. Who is guiding your thoughts? Is it Hollywood? Mediocre Tele-evangelists? What do you think or say when some well-meaning girl friend insists, "if you don't take care of yourself, then who will?"

I wept through most of the book, but it was cleansing for my soul. Now, I still have difficult days. I still enjoy strolling through Walmart at 6 AM-- all by myself! But I've been able to find joy in serving others, and particularly my family, knowing that, if no one else takes care of me, then my Heavenly Father will!

If you haven't read this yet, I encourage you to do so. Or to get a copy for some Mommy that could use a little encouragement. If you have read this, please comment below so that others can hear how you've been blessed by this most excellent book!

7 comments:

  1. I did read this book & found it ever so encouraging! And challenging, it truly is amazing how much the world affects our thinking as women. I am blessed beyond measure to be home lovin, huggin, & training my 4 daughters. I recommend this book if you want to both have your eyes opened a bit & your spirit encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, Mary Jo! Do you mind if we put it up on the Passionate Housewives blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the book and bought a copy for my best friend as well. When I was finished with mine (after reading it a second time!) I handed it to my mom to read. I was incredibly blessed by the message of the book which is something that never gets old: serving one's family is a high and blessed calling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy, Please feel free to use this review. I'm so thankful for the encouragement I've found in this book and really appreciate the way it is written in such an uplifting manner. I read it constantly, turning to favorite passages again and again; and am always blessed by it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Jo I've read the book and it changed my life. When I first read the book, I was already a stay at home mother & wife. This book gave me the boldness to take a stand and be "Godly" proud of the role I was walking in. After reading it, I felt like I had a host of friends supporting me because I wasn't alone anymore.

    I gave another copy to a friend. It took her months to read it. After she read it, she regret not reading it sooner. The book changed her life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink." I've given copies to friends too, and they're still sitting on the shelf! (Very sad.)

    I'm hoping to use this new blog like a salt block; whet their thirst, so they'll take a drink!

    I wish every Christian woman, no matter her marital or "homemaker" status, would get (and read) a copy of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,
    I'm getting more and more excited to read this book!! It's probably not something you'd see on the shelf of Lifeway, so I'll have to hunt it down. Some thoughts on this subject...After being a single mom, and being thrown into corporate America without a choice, I've definitely experienced both worlds. I pretty much learned that me and corporate America don't get along too well! I was a stay at home mom before that, and I remember all too well having those feelings of craving career and high heels...but then, once forced upon me, it wasn't quite the dream I thought it may be. It may seem as if Mom's can just drop off their children and walk out the door "free as the breeze" (and unfortunately some can) but for me, the struggle of guilt, sadness, responsibility...feeling as if someone else was mothering or raising MY child, was overwhelming. By the time I got off work and picked up the kids, we only had time for a quick dinner, bathtime, and then bed. It was horrible. I remember sobbing and praying, pleading with God to change something, and thankfully He has! Now, I am back at home with my children, where I longed to be, and not only that but I'm a wife to an amazing and Godly man that desires me to be in the home! On those days that I get overwhelmed with my tasks as a stay at home mom, I just remember those corporate America days, and I'm able to smile and thank God for putting me back where I belong-at Home!! I love the roles God's designed for men and women, and I pray more women would embrace them, knowing that the Lord is good and completely wise in designing our roles! I'm sure that like you, my mindset has been impacted by feministic thinking, in ways I don't even realize, so this book would probably be very beneficial for me to read! I'm reading The Excellent Wife at the moment, and it's incredible! Thanks for posting this, as I'm always looking for good books that focus on Christ and Him being glorified more through our lives. Love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete